Dollar Store Spice Cupboard

My spice cupboard has looked like this for far too long.



I'm a bit of a cheapo and haven't found a nice spice rack (or even spice containers) that I like enough to spend the thirty plus dollars that they cost. And so, my spices stayed looking like this, which, in my somewhat OCD kitchen, is quite the eye sore.


After living with this mish mash for over two years (eek!), I decided I needed to do something.  Off I went to.... dum dum dum... wait for it..... wait for it...... almost..... okay, you guessed it... THE DOLLAR STORE (I seriously should have considered naming my blog "Dollar Store Design" or something like that, because, man, do I post a lot of dollar store stuff!).

I had purchased three of these little glass spice jars at the dollar store last summer and they were okay I guess. I only bought 3, so clearly I wasn't too enamoured with them- I just needed a functional container to put my bulk spices and herbs in.

On their own, these guys are pretty blah. But for $1 for 3, how can you go wrong. A little bit of makeup should pretty these up, so off to work I went! I bought 18 more spice jars at Dollorama and used Krylon metallic spray paint I had on hand to paint the lids (Is this foodsafe? Not sure, but the spray paint is only on the outside, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed). I did 3 light coats and they came out perfectly. I toyed with the idea of using blue spray paint but decided silver would give me the look I was going for.



And then, of course, came the labels! I'm a labeler, though and through. I had bought some Martha Stewart labels with the intent on doing something with them for my etsy shop, but that idea has been scrapped for now, which left me these pretty shaped (and best of all, CUT) kraft labels.

I spent $6 on the spice jars at Dollorama, $3 on the kraft labels at Staples, and that brings me to a whopping $9 for my spice cupboard! Such an improvement!



The plastic riser I got at HomeSense for $6 a few months back.


Ain't she purty? I'm just really happy I was able to get the look I wanted without spending a boat load. Move on over Williams Sonoma!

I'm sure some of you are wondering where all the "extra" spices went? Like the stuff that I couldn't squeeze into the jar? Well, I put the leftovers in some little craft bags I got at, yes, the dollar store, and used some old stock kitchen labels I had for them. They are in one of my handy white Dollorama bins.


 If you thought my dollar store kitchen makeover is complete, well, you'd be wrong! I've got some more posts coming up over the next few weeks, including my baking cupboard, my puppy cupboard, and my fridge among others. If anyone else has dollar store kitchen makeovers, I would love to see them! Always gathering inspiration from somewhere!
Tip Junkie handmade projectsIHeart OrganizingHookingupwithHoH  Linking up with: A Thoughtful Place